Table of contents
- What is a Physical Therapist?
- How to Become a Physical Therapist?
- How Long does it take to Become Physical Therapist?
- Physical Therapy Schools & Education
- Physical Therapy Programs & Certification
- Physical Therapist Salary
- Physical Therapist Job Description
- Physical Therapist Requirements
What is a Physical Therapist?
A Physical therapist treats the patients who suffer from disorders and people who cannot move or function normally in their day to day life. Physical therapist finds analyzed their physical problems and treats them.
A person who wants to become a physical therapist should have to help nature, and good interpersonal skills to treat the people who have limitations in their physical moments.
How to Become a Physical Therapist?
The physical therapist must complete a three-year graduation course from an authorized academic program in physical therapy. They must obtain this degree before start practicing physical therapy. To get admission to a physical therapy course, students need to complete a graduation course. Students need to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) marks and should secure a good average grade in their academics.
Physical therapy program consists of courses like human anatomy, biomechanics, musculoskeletal system, pathology, and neurological dysfunction management.
Becoming a Physical Therapist
Students may also have to undergo practical sessions as an internship, to get knowledge in the clinical course which provides training in patient care, screening, analyzing the problems and start treatment to the patients. This practical session will teach students about hospitality.
How Long does it take to Become Physical Therapist?
All physical therapists must complete a three-year doctoral physical therapy graduation course (DPT) authorized by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). And a bachelor’s degree is required to get admission into the DPT program. Some schools offer a combined course which combines the under graduation and doctoral degree courses, where they will be taught the syllabus like biology, human anatomy physiology, chemistry, physics, and psychology.
Physical Therapy Schools & Education in United States
Click on the states in the map below to view the list of physical therapy schools information.
Physical Therapy Programs & Certification
Depending on the state’s requirements, all physical therapists must obtain a license to become a physical therapist. Most of the states require a graduation in physical therapy from an authorized university and clear the National Physical Therapy Examination.
Some states may insist on additional requirements to provide license such as Jurisprudence exams, and continuing education to obtain and maintain the licensure for a period.
Physical therapy candidates must be licensed and should have completed 2000-hour clinical practice sessions in their own specialized areas to obtain a certification from The American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS). Qualified candidates will be awarded specialty certification, and the certified specialists must be re-certified after 10 years.
Physical Therapist Salary
The average annual salary of a physical therapist in the year 2015 was $85,790. According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the employment opportunities of physical therapists could see an increase of 34% between 2014 and 2024.
Physical Therapist Job Description
• A physical therapist helps the patients to cure their injuries by providing quality treatment. Also, they check the patient’s tests thoroughly and provide them the best prescription
• Encourage patients to perform manual exercises, and assists patients to perform physical exercises like nonmanual.
• Also, physical therapists add massages to treatment, because to provide relaxation as well as curing. And, they also use a lot of other supplements like infrared and ultraviolet lamps, ultrasound machines, whirlpool baths, and moist packs etc.
• After going to the certain process of the treatment physical therapists go through your progress and suggest you more advanced exercises and treatment to make you fit and bring backs you to normal.
• So, at the end, after completing your whole treatment process, the therapists go through their panel of nurses, physicians, and social workers so that they can contribute their services even after discharging because they care about patient’s health.
• So, even after discharging they guarantee you a best treatment plan and exercises, even at home so that you won’t face any problem in your future. They also come to your home every week for a check-up, to know your progress.
• They also never compromise for security reasons, as they keep all the information of the patient very confidential. So, I think this could be the best job because you’re helping people in a lot of ways.
• Make sure that their clinic is clean all the time. So, that their patients would never suffer from any type of infections.
• Conducting seminars to create awareness about how to reduce your problems with simple treatments and exercises.
• Believing in a team effort and contributing best services in every aspect of the treatment.
Physical Therapist Requirements
Everyone must have these requirements to become a Physical Therapist.
Good knowledge of physiology, best-maintaining power, and promotion of health, creating safety measures, make surrounding environment Effective, motivating patients, Focusing on quality is must, good skills in clinical industry, high energy levels and can handle pressurized situations.
So, these are the steps you need to follow to become a physical therapist. All you need to have is as much as patience. Because you need to motivate all your patients and make them co-operative for the treatment.